Most instructors agree that plagiarism is wrong, but here are some reasons why plagiarism is considered unethical.
Penn State University is an institution of both learning and research. When you commit plagiarism, you hurt yourself and the community in the following ways:
- You deny yourself the opportunity to learn and practice skills that may be needed in your future careers. You also deny yourself to opportunity to receive honest feedback on how to improve your skills and performance.
- You invite future employers and faculty to question your integrity and performance in general.
- You commit fraud on faculty who are evaluating your work.
- You deprive another author due credit for his or her work.
- You show disrespect for your peers who have done their own work.